About Me

My photo
Delhi, NewDelhi, India
I am currently pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Delhi. I started blogging so that people don't face much of a hassle in finding solutions to problems that I've already faced and sorted out. Problems could be either hardware or software. Of late, it's becoming a hobby, especially after I received an e-mail from an anonymous reader from Germany who found one of my blog entries very useful.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Speed dial websites on firefox

Firefox has a built-in feature to speed-dial websites. The trick here is to bookmark a web-page and attach a keyword to it. There's a difference between attaching a 'tag' and 'keyword'.

So, once you decide upon a list of websites that you would like to speed dial, open the 'Organize Bookmarks' link by holding Ctrl+Shift+O else open it via. the Bookmarks tab.

Select 'New bookmark'. A screenshot is attached, where-in I have added the HDFC bank login with the keyword 'HDFC'. Note that the keywords are case-insensitive. So, even if I type 'hdfc' instead of 'HDFC' (note the case), firefox would open-up the login for HDFC bank. Even though this is a simple technique, not many are aware of this. The good thing is you can even have numbers as a keyword for a website.

If you decide to export your bookmarks to another browser, say 'Google Chrome' for example, you would not lose out on this feature. I haven't tried it on Safari or Internet Explorer so far. Tell me if it works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment